Watch out for this new scam method

Brilliant scammer, shared the scam method with a stranger.

tldr: trust scammers only if they show their true intentions. /s

I’m shocked you think sharing a seed phrase is a new scam tactic.

Seed phrases create almost limitless private keys, each giving a public key, which is an account.

Charlotte said:
I’m shocked you think sharing a seed phrase is a new scam tactic.

Seed phrases create almost limitless private keys, each giving a public key, which is an account.

Sure, but for these newcomers, it seems ‘new’.

@Rowe
These newcomers need to stop branding fundamental knowledge as ‘new’.

So basically avoid using the forum.

DigitalDimeTalk said:

I stopped reading your post after four words.

Westin said:

DigitalDimeTalk said:

Telegram is full of SSS - Shitcoins, Scammers and Stupidity.

Never heard of any good stories from Telegram.

Lol “Swiper no swiping”

No, the scam works this way. After you give them the private seed phrase, they’ll ask you for a deposit to activate the wallet. At that point, they steal your deposit. They’ll keep asking for more.

I know this because I’ve talked to these scammers before. It’s always the same.

It turns out that when you create a new recovery phrase in a wallet app like Phantom, MetaMask or others, scammers can access both the new wallet and all other wallets you have in that app, letting them steal your funds.

No.

If the scammer has your recovery phrase, they can only access that specific wallet. There’s no way they’d access other wallets without knowing their unique recovery phrases. That’s impossible.

Raven said:
If the scammer has your recovery phrase, they can only access that specific wallet. There’s no way they’d access other wallets without knowing their unique recovery phrases. That’s impossible.

I think the original poster means creating a new address with the existing seed phrase.

@Happy
I agree with your point.

@Happy
Or maybe the scammer was hoping folks would generate a new address with the same seed phrase, instead of making a brand new wallet. This could catch those who aren’t tech-savvy.

Gracen said:
@Happy
Or maybe the scammer was hoping folks would generate a new address with the same seed phrase, instead of making a brand new wallet. This could catch those who aren’t tech-savvy.

Right. That’s exactly what I meant :slight_smile:

Gracen said:
@Happy

I don’t see any way for someone just to create a different wallet using the same phrase from the main wallet and share the phrase. Maybe that could happen? It makes no sense to me.

@Winslow
No, not creating another wallet, but just making another address for the same wallet. My guess is the scammer hoped people would do that while thinking they were making a new wallet. Many users don’t know enough about how wallets function, so this scam could work.

Raven said:

Hey there. Looks like you might have found a new scam? If that’s the case, please share this scam by posting it in the appropriate forums or check out scam-alert.io. For tips to avoid scams, click here.

I’m a bot, and this was sent automatically. Feel free to reach out to the moderators if you have questions or concerns.

Raven said:

Didn’t see that twist coming, I was convinced the scammer was going to take their own money.

Raven said:

There’s no point in creating a private recovery phrase if you’re sharing it with anyone, including the exchanges linked to your wallet. Even a new recovery phrase should remain private. Props to the original poster for catching on to this scam right away.