Microsoft's patent "WO2020060606 CRYPTOCURRENCY SYSTEM USING BODY ACTIVITY DATA" was published on March 26, 2020

I find this patent extremely interesting. Using human body activity to mine cryptocurrencies raises many questions. How would mining work with human body activity? What relevance does this have to Microsoft’s evolution? Was Bill Gates on the board at the time of filing? Are there other cryptocurrencies or blockchains that follow similar paths?

Publication number: W0/2020/60606

I’d love to hear your thoughts and analysis on the potential impact of Microsoft on Bitcoin in the future.

1 Like

I don’t think this makes any sense.

In cryptocurrency systems that use proof of work, miners get paid because they help keep the system secure. But body activity data can’t do that because it doesn’t have the right properties (mainly, it can’t be connected to past data in a verifiable way).

So, the system is supposed to pay people for their body activity data, even though this data doesn’t help secure the system. Where will the money come from to pay people?

A common mistake in understanding economic systems is to think the main problem is just distributing value, and that any new way to distribute value is helpful. But a method to distribute value is not useful if it doesn’t connect to a way to create that value in the first place.

How can it be useful to develop a system to pay people for their body activity data if there is no good reason to pay for that data?